Wednesday, January 25, 2012

10 minute ramblings

As I've read OMF and ED I didn't really focus much on the religious aspects of the works.  After reading a classmate's blog and discussing it in class, it came to me that I actually make a note in OMF about the names of the Reverends for the Lammle wedding.  Reverend Blank Blank and Reverend Dash Dash were both there to officiate the wedding of Alfred and Sophronia.  Thinking back, this seems appropriate seeing as they both are phony.  The Reverends have no name and the couple have no clue.  The blatant poking of the religious figures are quite amusing.  Don't tell my mama cause I'm a southern girl and am not supposed to make fun of the church but let's face it...it's funny.


The OMF portion was amusing but then I thought about the Cathedral in ED.  This element seems to be a focal point for Cloisterham.  The church seems to be a means of employment for this enclosed town.  I don't see much value in the actual religious aspects of the Nun's House and the Cathedral.  It's all dark and dirty and reminds me of several trips to Cathedrals on my travels.  In fact, I have been into 2 catacombs in Vienna.  1 with thousands and thousands of bones from the plague (http://www.stephansdom.at/) and 1 with mummies (http://www.augustinerkirche.at/).  Coolest thing ever!!  After taking tours of both of these and now reading the role of Drudles, I can understand his fascination of it.  It's actually kind of addictive.  I'm actually looking forward to going back to Vienna for another tour.


So I think I got a little off topic but I'm now focused on the religious thing and I'm taking a trip down memory lane.  I am now ready to continue reading focus a little more on religion...and not just on Easter and Christmas.  Can't wait what for Dickens has to say about the church now.

No comments:

Post a Comment