Sunday, January 29, 2012

Edwin Drood goes international

After several meetings with various German production companies, Barefoot Entertainment finally agreed to finance the film.  The company is anxious to begin working on the production in late 2012.  They have started looking into casting.  Below is a list of potential German speaking actor/actresses.  These are potential roles and the contracts have not been agreed upon at this date.


Jasper: Moritz Bleibtreu
  • he's a versatile actor who can often have a dark side
  • he's attire can sometimes appear unkept which I can see Jasper having in the opium scene
Edwin: Daniel Brühl
  • he and Moritz work well together in films
  • he also favors Moritz enough to be seen as related
  • can have an innocent, sad look about him which is how I often picture Edwin
Neville: Alexander Scheer
  • thin and lanky which for some reason I have Neville so in my mind
  • he also looks much different than Daniel and Moritz which would fit with the description of him being "un-English"
  • he is also younger and little more playful which I picture Neville being
Helena: Johanna Wokalek
  • has darker hair in contrast to the actress chosen for Rose
  • a more serious individual at first glance but also with a playful side
Rosa: Julia Jentsch
  • has a lighter complexion than Julia and blonde hair
  • seems softer and a little more childish which I thinks works with Rose's character
  • while she appears more childish, I have seen her in a more serious role and believe she can handle the scene between her and Edwin
Mrs. Crisparkle: Monica Bleibtreu
  • iconic actress who can take on any role
  • she's often in stronger roles but I would like to see her take on a more delicate "ceramic" part
Mr. Crisparkle: Bruno Ganz
  • he is the grandfather figure in the sense that he has such a caring nature
  • as I read, Mr. Crisparkle embodied the person you could run up and hug
  • I have seen him in some wonderful roles as the care giver
Durdles: Jürgen Vogel
  • he is not as thin as I pictured Durdles but I feel he can embody the personality
  • can carry the "dusty carry my bundle wherever I go" character throughout the film
  • is a solid performer
Honeythunder: Burghart Klaußner
  • comes across at first glance as a solid businessman which is how I picture Honeythunder
  • can play the role without caring for others' feelings
Miss Twinkleton: Franka Potente)
  • she is a wonderful actress whom I would like to see in a softer role
  • while she is normally cast in more action roles, I can see her acting talent tested in this "keep the women of the house" role
Princess Puffer: Marlene Dietrich
  • in reading, I pictured Puffer more grungy, larger and aged but after thinking about her character, I felt Marlene would fit the role and it would just be fun
  • she's a legendary film icon...why not?
Tartar: Til Schweiger
  • Til has the military look about him without looking too military
  • he's handsome and has a caring nature about him, which is how I picture Tartar
  • I could also see him being a character Helena would fall for
Mr. Grewgious: Ludger Pistor
  • has an awkward nature about his mannerisms
  • I picture Mr. Grewgious as being uncomfortable in every situation and Ludger can pull this off
  • he's also not too awkward that he couldn't be the care giver of Rose
  • I also envision the scenes between Crisparkle and Grewgious.  Ludger and Bruno would work well together

1 comment:

  1. I love how you took such an unique approach to this casting! It's a great way to incorporate your love for German culture and I really enjoyed learning about some new actor/actresses!

    ReplyDelete