Tuesday, January 24, 2012

First impressions of Drood

Death
  • My first impression of the Drood work is how appropriate. (Ok, that’s a lie.  My first impression of the work is of the opium induced state of the first scene.  I have a CSI scene all worked out for this.)  But I digress; I cannot help but think of Dickens on his deathbed writing about death.  As Durdles works with the tombs and catacombs, it is apparent he values his work and is dedicated to the preservation of the dead.  He is proud of his work and often seems quite enthralled with what transpires.  While he is not overly philosophical, I can appreciate his admiration for the job and can picture Dickens writing a little autobiography in this character.


Parallel with OMF

Importance of appearance
  • Mrs. Twinkleton decorates her office with globes to give the appearance of her constant longing for knowledge.  I personally don’t see her studying these in her spare time but for parents or guests appearance is all that matters.  I could very well be proven wrong as the story progresses.
  •  Rosa and Eddy are engaged to be married and must appear to be happy in this endeavor.  “You know we must be married, and married from here, Eddy, or the poor girls will be so dreadfully disappointed!”  Why is it important to please others in a marriage when your happiness should be all that matters?  My curiosity is awake.  I want to know what happens to this insane couple.
  • Rosa also wants Eddy to walk close to the gate or building so the other girls cannot see the state of his boots.  They are not shiny leather which apparently doesn’t meet Rosa’s standards.  (Interesting to note since she will be married to him.)  He doesn’t seem to mind her insults of his clothing and goes along with her desires.  Seems like a match made heaven and I hope these two kids live happily ever after…but I highly doubt it.
  • Mrs. Crisparkle’s son fakes the need of glasses to read.  His eyes water and he can’t read what’s in front of him but wears them to give his mother a boost of confidence.  She doesn’t need glasses which gives her great pride.  I can admire him for wanting to please his mother but am not sure if sacrificing your sight is really worth it.


Random thoughts
  • I don’t particularly care for Mr. Honeythunder.  He’s rude for not telling the Crisparkles he will be coming and seems to be a terrible philanthropist.  I am going to classify him outright as a jerk and a user.  Anyone disagree?

2 comments:

  1. I agree with there being a parallel between OMF and Drood. Your use of examples really proved your point and I enjoyed your perspective about appearances. Great Post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that is an excellent point - Dickens is on his deathbed contemplating death!

    ReplyDelete