Wednesday, February 15, 2012

ATOTC in 10 minutes

I think my brain is turning to mush.  I find myself reading ATOTC and then not comprehending what I'm reading or maybe I am and I just don't know it.  Let's hope the latter is happening.  Then I hear people discussing it in class and find myself really liking their comments.  Of course, then I kick myself for not seeing that when I read it.  My problem is that I'm enjoying Our Mutual Friend but not ATOTC.  As I admit this, I feel I may be beat up in the back ally on the way to my car.  I started this book over the Christmas break and loved it!  Couldn't put it down.  Now it puts me to sleep.  Why is this?  If anyone has the answer, please, please, please tell me what I'm doing wrong and if it can be fixed.


The French Revolution and the Austro-Hungarian empire interest me.  I have to pull everything back to the German speakers ;)  I just wish I could do a better job at pulling the FR references out of the book.  I will say this...I REALLY HATE the Marquis.  When he ran over the child and then through money at the father, I wanted to hit him.  In fact, I imagined one of those karma scenes from a movie where he fell in the mud later or lost all of his money.  I would have applauded Dickens for writing that.  Of course, I know why he didn't but it still ran through my mind.  The one thing I did enjoy in this scene was the money being thrown back into the carriage.  While no one took responsibility for it, I felt it was Dickens' way of adding a "karma" scene.  It was that subtle, "We're not gonna take it", situation.  I do hope he gets what's coming to him.


I do, however, enjoy the relationship between Carton and Stryver.  It's just a pleasant read.  I'm not particulary drawn to them outside of their friendship but I like reading their interactions.  There is an understanding between them.  They work together, went to school together, and spend time sharing some thoughts...not too deep but there's an understanding.  I like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment