Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Bleak House

Dickens' duality at it again!
  • Esther: feeling totally alone vs. feeling loved and a part of something
  • Dedlock: Sir coming from money and family vs. Mrs. coming from no family and being raised to wealth through marriage
  • Opposite sides of the tracks: wealthy vs. poor and scary
  • Two cities: London vs. Paris (fashion)
  • Weather: the smoky looking fog of London
Poor Esther:
  • not having a good birthday 
  • being told she wasn't wanted
  • having a doll as her only friend until her Godmother dies
  • What a moving scene! She buries her doll as she buries her Godmother. I almost cried.
So...I've not really gotten into this work yet.  I'm confused about the Jarndyce connection and only feel connected to one character, Esther.  I did like the comments Kenge made about Miss Rachael.  I really loved his honesty.  The names are funny too...the Jellyby's crack me up every time and it's just the name, not the characters.

1 comment:

  1. You identified the points I noticed too for the most part. Good job on picking up on the subtle London vs. Paris theme. I overlooked that!!

    ReplyDelete