Tuesday, February 7, 2012

A Tale of Two Cities...the beginnings

History in fiction:
  •  As I looked over my notes for 2 Cities, my first comments were on the descriptions of the Kings and Queens of England and France.  The French description was, "large jaw king" and a "fair face queen" while the English description was, "large jaw king" and a "plain face queen".  It was intriguing to see the same description for the kings but slightly different ones for the queens so I decided to look up pictures for the two.  The king and queen of France in 1775 were Louis XVI and Marie Antionette.  The king and queen of England were George III and Charlotte of Mecklenburg-Strelitz.  Based on the pictures, I can understand why Dickens chose such a description.  I’ve heard of all of these figures but French and English history were never my strong suit.  I’m looking to Dickens to guide me in this.

  • He did make an interesting comment on religion in England at this time.  The country was big on religion.  There was a witness of a youth tortured and killed for not kneeling to monks. 
  • There was also a social statement, in true Dickens style, that of someone being sentenced to death for stealing a sixpence.  As I read this, I felt this was an extremely harsh punishment for a crime of this nature.
  • With the relationship of France and England at the time this was written, it can certainly be read as a semi-fictional/semi-nonfictional recount of history.  With Dickens in charge of the story line, I am certain there will be more history lessons to come.

“Recalled to Life”: Can it be done?
  • The phrase, “recalled to life”, continually comes up throughout book the first.  The first time I read the phrase I, much like the messenger, was puzzled at its meaning.  Was it some sort of philosophical code that I was supposed to understand immediately?  I continued to read in search of the reason for this statement and whala, it was finally revealed.  Well, maybe not whala, but at least there was a connection.  The vague description of the characters now begins to become a little clearer and more complexly connected.
  • There are many ways in which this happens in the work:
    • Miss Manette’s father is released from prison and introduced back into society.  He has been locked in a room making shoes without any outside contact other than the “sight seers”.
    • Manette is reintroduced to her father, whom she thought was dead.  This is also noted in the description of her hotel room as “funeral attire”.
    • Mr. Lorry is put back into contact with Manette, whom he brought from Paris to England so many years ago.  Dickens doesn’t over do the description of their interactions but I am left with the feeling that Mr. Lorry has some regrets in the development or lack there of of this relationship. 

Two Cities like ED and OMF:
  •  Miss Manette immediately reminds me of Rosa and Miss Podsnap.  They are all three dainty and are often faint. 
  • Miss Manette’s father reminds me of Mr. Grewgious due to the fact he still possesses the a lock of Miss Manette’s hair and Mr. Grewgious held the ring.  He also reminds me of Drudles because of his need of a consistent schedule.  Drudles carries his package and is followed by Deputy.  Miss Manette’s father has a set schedule and is gawked at by his visitors.
  • Mr. Lorry reminds me of Mr. Honeythunder but only in the sense that he’s all business.  I enjoy reading about Mr. Lorry much more than Mr. Honeythunder.
  • Those are the only comparisons I can think of at the moment but I am hoping to find more as I continue to read more about the characters.

1 comment:

  1. Yes - the mentioning of the boy being tortured and killed made me feel so dissapointed in the human race. The characters that you have linked from Tale of Two Cities to OMF and Edwin Drood was a very insightful analysis of the characters similarities.

    ReplyDelete