Tuesday, February 7, 2012

OMF! Still

Wait…who was that again?
  • It is extremely frustrating to be reading this novel in parts.  I find myself spending the first few pages everytime I sit down with it having to remind myself of the various characters and plots.  Then by the time I’ve gotten my memory back, I have to go back to re-read the pages I just started reading.  As a Victorian, I am sure this would not be such a problem.  They didn’t have internet and tv shows to distract them with other plots and characters.  They were also not trying to keep Edwin Drood, OMF, and A Tale of Two Cities separate from one another.  It’s also hard to focus since ED and OMF have some similar characters (not exact but some similarities).  If I were focusing on OMF and discussing with friends during the Victorian era, I would be overwhelmingly intrigued.  I still enjoy the book but am frustrated with the back and forth of my brain function.  I’ve never been good at reading multiple books from the same author/genre.  And I’ve definitely never read several Dickens works with all of his characters and descriptions. 
  • My main complaint with Mr. Dickens is that he doesn’t stick with one name.  Somehow, the character starts as Hexam and then becomes Gaffer and then somewhere along the way gets a nickname.  Love the descriptions and plotlines but am frustrated with my own lack of memory.
I’m noticing…
  • I find myself admiring the relationship between Mr. and Mrs. Boffin.  They are an interesting pair.  His love for her is true and loyal. 
  • I continually want some of my favorite characters to reappear after several chapters of nothing.  When they do, they don’t react/do what I want them to.  
  • After discussing dust in ED, I continually look for it in the other works.  Sometimes found and sometimes not.  I just find myself focusing on some of our discusses themes/images and I miss other important topics.
Ramblings:
  • I would love to see the following in their own spin off:  the Veneerings, the Lammles, Lizzie & Charley.  I envision the Veneering/Lammle show to be very much like the current hit Revenge (More on IMDB).  Lizzie & Charley’s show would be a heart-warming yet turbulent one.  I would DVR any of those shows. 

1 comment:

  1. I put on my OMF blog that I also feel distracted and disoriented when I sit down to digest the week's OMF reading. I also agree about admiring the relationship of the Boffins - they are really good people.

    ReplyDelete